Monday, July 13, 2015

Ma Belle Soeur

The hullabaloo of Paul and Toni’s wedding of the century has died down.  I was not a fan but their interview after the engagement changed it all.  You probably think this post is about it.  Well, it’s not.




One of the things about their wedding that made me weep my eyeballs out was the part where Alex (the sister) tells the groom about her sister’s quirks.  I suddenly remember my own sister and the day I left Canada to build my own life in the Philippines.  She was the only one who knew I wasn’t coming back.  It’s been nine years.  That’s almost half her life (see, I love her so much I still pretend she’s 18 haha). I just had to put that there to avoid some emotional fit here in the office! 

Le Anne is younger than me by four years but five years in school because I was born a genius.  I rub it on her every single time.  I was in college while she was still in high school so I was her FASHION ICON!  Even with a closetful of clothes, she’d ransack mine in the middle of the night.  I later on learned to put my spidey sense in full swing because while I pretend to sleep it starts with a small creek from my bedroom door and then I catch her redhanded in the middle of her little tiptoes! Her reaction was priceless, it was awesome.  

During her formative years my mom was away somewhere in the Middle East.  She was a bit slow compared to me (did I say I was a genius?)  It was difficult for her to read and her grammar was sick. And in a family where your mom writes and speaks so awesomely well, it was a disgrace.  We constantly fought about clothes and food she didn’t finish.  I would tell her about the many underprivileged people who’d love a piece of what she has.  I end up eating her leftovers and of course I became fat.  (Who knew there was wisdom in that? haha)




When we came to Toronto, she joined the music class after my prodding.  Only to find out it wasn’t glee club but a school band!  So one day she came home with a real flute and with all despair told me she’s planning to back out the next day.  We both didn’t know how to play the instrument!  So I thought maybe those days with the Bamboo flute in Cebu would come in handy.  And it did, we tried learning “Wooden Heart” and she ended up one of the great flute players in the band.

One time in Canada, I wanted to commit suicide and drank pills in front of her.  She didn’t even react or stop me so I felt kind of bad that she didn’t care.  Later on she told everybody I was drinking Tylenol (for night) so it would make my cough and colds go away.  No biggie.  Hahahaha  (and NO I also wasn’t REALLY killing myself)



I could go on and on with every other story about us.  But even then I knew in my heart that she was awesome.  I believed that she can be greater than what she saw in herself.  I have always known there was strength amidst her being fragile.  



She graduated high school as an honor student, a cheerleader (I hate that she lived that dream and I didn’t lol), a school band member and a member of the Key Club, an organization I know nothing about.  From several fashion faux pas to now being a certified fashionista.  From her grammatical blunders to an Honours Bachelors Degree in English and History minor in Religion from no less than the University of Toronto.  







To my sister, 

When I went back to the Philippines, it wasn’t about whether I could make up a life here - that wasn’t my greatest fear.  My biggest fear was how you were going to make it out on your own.  But you’ve grown with so much gracefulness as a woman with a good head on top of her shoulders and a heart filled with so much tenderness and love.  All this, without me and you have made me so proud!  

So even though I may be a few days late, I want to greet you a HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  In a stage in my life where I can only pick a handful true friends, nobody can ever measure up to what we have.  I will always love you and I believe in you.

Love Always,

Ate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment